Associate Manager, Artistic Planning
Full-time Administrative Staff
December 10, 2013
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking an:
Associate Manager, Artistic Planning
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Artistic Planning, this position will assist with the full range of programming presented by the LA Philharmonic Association including: Winter Subscription programs, Hollywood Bowl classical series, galas, festivals, residencies, recitals, visiting orchestras, and the Green Umbrella new music series and will have primary programming responsibility for the baroque series, organ recitals, chamber music series, and community/education concerts (as assigned).
- In coordination with the VP of Artistic Planning, engage artists and coordinate repertoire discussions for assigned winter subscription programs
- Initiate projects and programming ideas for the chamber music, baroque, and organ series.
- Primary programming responsibilities for all community and neighborhood concerts presented by LAPA, including all orchestra and chamber music programs.
- Manage the coordination and implementation for the Green Umbrella series.
- Manage the coordination and implementation for assigned projects (including festivals, multidisciplinary projects, residencies, etc.) including preparing and tracking budgets, schedules and contracts.
- Manage the Dudamel Fellow Conducting program. Engage fellows and conductors to act as cover conductor for all winter and summer subscription programs, as well as liaising with Education on conducting appearances and artistic activities.
- Plan and coordinate classical programming with external stakeholders, relating to LAPA festivals and special projects
- Serve as conduit of information from the Artistic Planning department to Internal and External parties
- Interact with artists and conductors, including entertaining as needed
- Attend and assume senior leadership responsibilities for concerts as assigned
- Negotiate and track artist contracts as assigned
- Communicate artist/conductor program issues and special needs to relevant internal and external parties
- Work closely with Development, Marketing and Public Relations departments on artist related promotion/funding possibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of classical music and artists
- Proven negotiation and contract management skills
- Ability to identify artistic quality and innovative thinking in project planning
- Well-developed critical thinking, problem solving and project planning skills
- Ability to hire, develop and retain staff, manage budgets, and meet goals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills at management and staff levels both formally and informally
- Public speaking ability
- Ability to develop and sustain professional relationships and collaborate internally and externally for the benefit of the organization
- Strong attention to detail with demonstrable ability to multi-task and execute plans effectively in fast paced environment
- Flexible schedule which includes ability to provide weekend and evening concert coverage as needed in addition to business day responsibilities
- Professional manager level desktop computing proficiency
- Regular and reliable attendance.
How to apply:
To apply, you must write “Associate Manager, Artistic Planning – LA Phil” in the subject line of your email or written prominently on your faxed or mailed submission. Please send resume, cover letter AND SALARY HISTORY to:
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
Attn: Human Resources
151 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at email@example.com or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using Kroll Background America, Inc.