You are here
Director of Major Gifts
Full-time Administrative Staff
October 17, 2013
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is searching for a:
Director of Major Gifts
The Director of Major Gifts is a new position to the LA Phil and an outstanding opportunity for a seasoned major gift fundraiser to advance his/her career by leading a team to develop a robust pipeline and increase major gifts. The successful candidate will be a metrics-driven major gift fundraiser, experienced working with volunteer leaders and high level prospects, and a professional who thrives in a fast-paced culture.
Position Overview – Director of Major Gifts:
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director of Major Gifts is a senior member of the development leadership team. S/He acts as a strategic thought-partner to Director of Development and VP of Development in the development and implementation of strategies to increase private support to LAPA. The Director strategically oversees and proactively develops the major gifts program in addition to personally managing a major gifts portfolio of 50-75 prospects capable of giving at least $25K+ annually. S/He proactively creates and implements strategies to increase support from individuals, including current and planned gifts for annual fund and campaign. The successful candidate will supervise Major Gifts Officers (currently 4) and the Research Manager S/He is responsible for the setting, tracking and achievement of major gifts revenue goals. The Director is responsible to personally set the bar and monitor quantifiable performance metrics as well as being responsible for all major gifts reporting and tracking, including portfolio management.
- Creates, oversees and monitors strategies to achieve major gifts annual goals, focusing on securing support for a set of institution-wide priorities that include unrestricted annual support, special project support, facility renovations, and endowment.
- Manages and refines systems to track performance metrics and increase pipeline development, including strategic use of research
- Manages prospect activity for his/her portfolio as well as tracking progress of all MGOs
- Creates and implements a major gifts strategic work plan and tracks progress towards goals
- Participates personally and ensures that all major gifts officers participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiates contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors
- Develops appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers
- Moves potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Makes solicitations when appropriate
- Maintains stewardship contacts with donors; demonstrates empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflects optimistic and positive attitude, and conveys sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Monitors all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations and stewardship
- Provides mentoring to staff as required
- Works collaboratively with and in support of volunteers, other members of the development team and other Association employees as needed to cultivate and solicit donors for organizational priorities
- Works collegially and strategically with Director, Gift Planning, Director, Individual Giving, Director Institutional Giving and Director Corporate Sponsorships to maximize donor opportunities to support LAPA
- Acts as a thought-partner and strategist for campaign prospects as required
- 7+ years successful experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in the arts
- Proven success in raising six-figure annual gifts
- Bachelor’s Degree, Masters preferable
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the LA Phil
- Interest in and dedication to promoting the Association’s priorities through developing excellent relationships with staff, trustees, volunteers, and the development team
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Successful experience supervising staff including knowledge of metrics-based moves management
- A demonstrated record of completing assignments
- Music / arts background and deep knowledge of the Los Angeles philanthropic community a plus
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving, research and analytical skills
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships. Passionate & committed to going out and getting gifts
- Strong organizational and strategic planning skills
- Team-oriented style with track record of respecting co-workers and volunteers and dealing with conflict effectively
- Must be self-motivated, self-starting, sophisticated, creative, and have strong attention to detail
- Must be technologically savvy including current use of Excel, Word, Outlook, the internet, social media and donor software
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
Before sending your resume for this position, please read it over for accuracy. LLLS does verify academic credentials for its candidates, and our clients frequently conduct background checks prior to finalizing an offer.
To learn more, call Wendy Schiffman Wilsker, Search Director, LOIS L. LINDAUER SEARCHES, LLC, at 617-262-1102, or send nominations or cover letter and resume to wschiffman@LLLSearches.com . All inquiries will be held in confidence.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at email@example.com or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using Kroll Background America, Inc.