You are here
Director of Retail Services
Full-time Administrative Staff
May 9, 2014
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
Director of Retail Services
The Director of Retail Services manages and directs the merchandising, financial, operational, and administrative functions of the retail operation. The primary goal is to make the retail business an educational, engaging, and profitable operation that realizes its full potential through creative, mission-related merchandising, thoughtful promotion, and excellent customer service. This position has responsibility for all Store operations and any other retail businesses related to the organization. These currently include:
- Walt Disney Concert Hall: LA Phil Store
- Hollywood Bowl: Bowl Store & 3 small kiosks (Seasonal: April - October)
- E-Commerce Operation
- Operational Management: Develops and relays procedural policies and sets standards on all operational issues, including but not limited to: sales techniques, transactions, reports, receiving of merchandise, e-commerce order fulfillment, customer service, handling of cash and returns, and opening/closing the stores. Compiles and continually updates store operations manual so that it clearly defines all current procedures and regulations.
- Financial Management: Prepares and administers monthly and annual operating and buying budgets, develops financial projections, and controls, including open-to-buy schedules, expense approvals, monitoring all key retail metrics and financial indicators, and comprehensive year-end reporting and analysis.
- Personnel Management: Oversees the hiring, supervision, motivation, and evaluation of all subordinate staff, including volunteers. Sets individual goals for staff and administers institutional personnel policies. Sets dress codes for floor staff. Works in conjunction with Human Resources to resolve any personnel problems..
- Inventory Management: Takes responsibility for safe handling, securing, and accounting for inventory and oversees annual physical inventory count.
- Merchandising and Display: Establishes merchandise directions. Develops annual visual merchandising display plan for the retail stores and ensures that the stores constantly appear clean, clearly organized, and feature attractive merchandise presentations. Ensures that all signage is maintained.
- Buying: Purchases merchandise for resale, continually searching the market for new sources of inventory and ensures that all merchandise offered for sale is appropriate, clearly related to the institutional mission, of good quality, and will bring in the budgeted profit margin. Fosters positive vendor relations.
- Promotional Management: Works with the marketing team to develop and implement promotional incentives. Devises ways to increase the stores’ visibility with patrons, supporters, and the public, and works to cultivate a destination clientele. Coordinates with artistic and orchestral management to plan book and/or CD signings. Also plans receptions, demonstrations, trunk shows, and other activities to stimulate customer interest and sales. Develops store ads in concert handbills.
- Product Development: Works in conjunction with the marketing department to develop product concepts, design, and to oversee production. Follows LA Phil’s product development protocol policy. Seeks supervisory input and approval, sets pricing, and develops marketing strategies for all proprietary products.
- Communication: Relays institutional mission, plans, programs, goals, and new product information to the store staff so that they can perform their jobs knowledgeably and effectively. Plans regular staff meetings and communicates important retail initiatives. Reports in to supervisor on a regular basis.
- Strategic Planning: Develops the vision and implementation strategies for future growth and development of the retail business, including: store build-out/renovations, developing and evaluating new business opportunities, planning for e-commerce growth, additional sales kiosks, special promotions, in-store programming, etc. Works in collaboration with executive team to align retail strategies with institutional vision.
- Other Tasks: There may be occasional situations where the Director of Retail Services will be asked to perform other tasks not specifically listed here, such as attend special meetings or conferences, make special reports, give presentations, etc.
- Knowledge of classical and popular music
- Minimum 5 to 10 years experience in all facets of retail management, multi-channel retail experience, and/or experience in a performing arts/creative arts boutique store is a plus
- 4 year college degree in related field
- 5 years buying experience at major trade shows
- Custom product development experience
- Willing to work evening and weekend hours
- Strong Artistic & Aesthetic Sense
- Good Business Sense
- Stellar Leadership & Communication Skills
- Well-Informed About Industry Issues
How to apply:
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, AND SALARY HISTORY to LAPhil@manask.com by June 11, 2014. All inquiries will be considered confidential.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at email@example.com or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using Kroll Background America, Inc.