Recorded Media Manager
Full-time Administrative Staff
December 15, 2015
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
Recorded Media Manager
The Recorded Media Manager leads the charge in devising recording projects for the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra via traditional and new forms of distribution. In close collaboration with Artistic and Marketing, s/he develops products to maximize the reach of the Orchestra’s artistic brand. Operationally, the position manages recording initiatives with both internal and external constituents and represents the interests of the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
- Develop and pursue recording projects and products to support the mission and vision of the LA Phil.
- Manage Philharmonic recording projects including, but not limited to radio broadcasts, CD and Download-only audio releases, audio-visual releases (TV, film, etc), and recording for promotional purposes
- Manage the efforts of all involved parties for the above activities, including artists and their managers, producers, media outlets, record companies, composers, publishers, orchestra, stagehands, production, library, marketing, and other staff. This includes:
o Coordinate repertoire discussions with artistic staff and appropriate distribution partners.
o Formulate and manage budgets.
o Hire producers, engineers, and video directors as necessary.
o Liaise with artists and their managers regarding approvals and edits.
o Act as intermediary between concert production and other departments to produce content.
o Liaise with Orchestra Committee and orchestra members as necessary.
o Coordinate recording capture and release timelines and details.
- In partnership with Vice President, Philharmonic and Production, serve as point of contact for the negotiations of all LA Phil recordings and licensing agreements.
- Internal subject matter expert on media distribution and impact, and rights clearance issues.
- Serve as the point of contact for the LA Phil in responding to internal and external requests for all media capture and distribution requests, including creating budget estimates for the capture and distribution of live concerts.
- In partnership with Marketing and Artistic, serve as video producer for various video projects for the LA Phil, as necessary, including content for promotional, archival or fundraising purposes.
- Serve as content provider and producer for promotional, marketing and PR purposes including web. Select music and clips appropriate for various uses, including basic editing when required. Manage rights clearance under collective bargaining agreements and, working with the music library, manage music rights.
- Manage the utilization of the LA Phil’s collective bargaining agreements to maximize allowable usage.
- Work with the Archives department on digital asset management system, long-term strategic planning for digitization, storage and access of media content.
- Administer Association’s royalty accounting software and payments to artists and orchestra musicians in partnership with Finance, Artistic department, and orchestra personnel manager
- Track and evaluate activities of other organizations, artists, and companies, for applicable and transferable concepts and ideas.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 5 years project management in concert production, artist management, or media distribution experience.
- Strong knowledge of classical music, artists, and repertoire.
- Working knowledge of recent trends in media distribution.
- Proven ability to analyze and present business budgets and proposals.
- Prior experience working with union agreements a plus
- Knowledge of music licenses and clearances
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, along with the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently and well under pressure.
- Demonstrate mature judgment; convey a professional image and attitude.
- Strong problem-solving and organization skills combined with a collaborative approach.
- Ability to prioritize projects and handle many details under pressure.
- Possess above-average proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet packages, e-mail and other software programs.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays related to media projects.
Note: This is a management position and not a technical role.
How to apply:
To apply, you must write “Recorded Media Manager – LA Phil” in the subject line of your email or written prominently on your faxed or mailed submission. Please send resume, cover letter AND SALARY EXPECTATIONS to:
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
Attn: Human Resources
151 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using First Advantage.