You are here
Senior Major Gifts Officer
Full-time Administrative Staff
January 14, 2015
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
Senior Major Gifts Officer
The Senior Major Gifts Officer (SMGO) is charged with developing and implementing strategies for securing financial support from a portfolio of donor prospects determined to have the ability to make major gifts and will be responsible for delivering $1,000,000 in revenue annually. The SMGO reports to the Director of Major Gifts, and will manage a portfolio of 100-150 individuals, including identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts. A gift officer works independently and also as a member of the LA Phil’s Development team, and coordinate his/her activities with those of other departments as needed at the LA Phil, Walt Disney Concert Hall, and the Hollywood Bowl.
• Manage prospect activity for his/her portfolio of 100-150 individuals
• Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Make solicitations when appropriate
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors
• Document in a timely manner all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations
• Work collaboratively with and in support of volunteers, other Major Gift Officers and development team and other LA Phil employees as needed to cultivate and solicit donors for organizational priorities
• Offer prospect strategy counsel to staff as required. Be a resource for other development staff, including identifying potential volunteer connections, as appropriate
• Focus on securing support for a set of institution-wide priorities that include unrestricted annual support, special project support, capital improvements, and endowment.
• 7+ years successful experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in the arts
• Proven success in raising six-figure annual gifts
• Bachelor’s Degree, Masters desirable
• Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising
• Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the LA Phil
• Interest in and dedication to promoting the Association’s priorities through developing excellent relationships with staff, trustees, volunteers, and the development office team
• Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies
• A demonstrated record of completing assignments, including timely documentation of donor contacts in the development database
• Music / arts background and deep knowledge of the Los Angeles philanthropic community a plus
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
• Strong problem solving, research and analytical skills
• Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships. Passionate & committed to going out and getting gifts
• Strong organizational and strategic planning skills
• Team-oriented style with track record of respecting co-workers and volunteers and dealing with conflict effectively
• Must be self motivated, self-starting, sophisticated, creative, and have strong attention to detail
• Must be technologically savvy including current use of Excel, Microsoft Word, the internet, social media, and donor software
• Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
How to apply:
To apply, you must write “Senior Major Gifts Officer – LA Phil” in the subject line of your email or written prominently on your faxed or mailed submission. Please send resume, cover letter AND SALARY HISTORY to:
Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
Attn: Human Resources
151 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using Kroll Background America, Inc.