Senior Major Gifts Officer
Full-time Administrative Staff
June 6, 2016
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
Senior Major Gifts Officer
The Senior Major Gifts Officer (SMGO) will develop and implement strategies to secure financial support from a portfolio of donor prospects determined to have the ability to make major gifts. The SMGO will have a dynamic and diverse portfolio of 100-120 individuals. In addition to the identification, engagement, solicitation, and stewardship of $15,000 and greater donors, increased emphasis and activity will be focus on gifts of $25,000, $50,000, and $100,000. The SMGO will work collaboratively with members of the LA Phil’s Development team, and coordinate his/her activities cross-departmentally as needed.
In 2019 the Los Angeles Philharmonic will be celebrating its 100th anniversary, and the organization is currently in the silent phase of the Centennial Campaign. The Senior Major Gifts Officer will play an integral role as he/she advances a wide range of fund-raising activities, programs and priorities in support of the comprehensive campaign.
- Manage prospect activity for his/her portfolio of 100-120 individuals
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Make solicitations when appropriate
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Document in a timely manner all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations
- Work collaboratively with and in support of volunteers, other Major Gift Officers and development team and other LA Phil employees as needed to cultivate and solicit donors for organizational priorities
- Offer prospect strategy counsel to staff as required. Be a resource for other development staff, including identifying potential volunteer connections, as appropriate
- Focus on securing support for a set of organization-wide, campaign priorities that include unrestricted annual support, special projects, capital improvements, and endowment.
- Work with planned giving colleagues to identify new and confirm planned gifts as part of overall giving strategies for the campaign and beyond
- 5+ years successful experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in the arts
- Proven success in raising six-figure annual gifts
- Bachelor’s Degree, Masters desirable
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising; a background in annual and planned giving a plus
- Ability to understand the aspirations and interests of patrons in order to develop relationships between them and the LA Phil
- Interest in and dedication to promoting the Association’s priorities through developing excellent relationships with staff, board members, volunteers, and the development office team
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies
- A demonstrated record of completing assignments, including timely documentation of donor contacts in the development database
- A Music /Arts background and knowledge of the Los Angeles philanthropic community a plus
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving, research and analytical skills
- Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships. Passionate and committed to meeting with donors and securing gifts
- Strong organizational and strategic planning skills
- Team-oriented approach with a track record of respecting co-workers and volunteers
- Must be self-motivated, creative, and have great attention to detail
- Must be comfortable and proficient with technology including use of Excel, Microsoft Word, the internet, social media, and donor software
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
How to apply:
Complete the online application by clicking here.
- Complete the application with all pertinent information.
- At the end of the application, a confirmation page will appear when your submission has been successfully completed.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using First Advantage.