You are here
Senior Major Gifts Officer
Full-time Administrative Staff
January 14, 2015
The Los Angeles Philharmonic is currently seeking a:
Senior Major Gifts Officer
Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Major Gifts Officer (SMGO) will join a team of 29 highly accomplished advancement professionals in a Development Office that each year raises approximately $25 million through its annual fund, plus an additional several million dollars in endowment gifts. The SMGO will be responsible for the identification, cultivation, personal solicitation and stewardship of 125-150 donors and prospects, with a heavy emphasis on closing gifts of $15,000 and higher in support of the LA Phil’s broad array of artistic, education and community programs. The successful candidate will manage his/her own portfolio and will be a true team player, committed to collaborating on strategy and participating on joint visits with colleagues or volunteer leadership as appropriate.
With a sophisticated advancement program, gift officers at the LA Phil have available to them generous support in research and donor communications functions, as well as experienced staff to support donor stewardship events and services (e.g. donor ticket concierge). The SMGO will have the opportunity and be expected to spend the majority of his/her time directly engaging with prospects and donors. The ideal candidate will be equally enthusiastic about discovery visits to cultivate new donors as he/she is about renewal gifts from loyal subscribers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are as follows, including the ability to work and evening and weekend hours as needed:
- Manage a portfolio of 125-150 qualified major gifts prospects and current donors, effectively guiding them through the donor gift cycle research, identification, cultivation, stewardship, solicitation, and achieving high closure rates for renewals, new gifts and increased contributions from current donors
- Evaluate and identify giving potential of major gifts prospects through personal visits and engagement of donors in their philanthropic priorities that best align with the mission and contributed revenue goals of the LA Phil
- Actively engage in research, analysis of patron ticket purchases and behaviors, and development team prospect review sessions to expand current portfolio with new prospects. Evaluate and pursue new prospects assigned by the staff researcher
- Develop successful identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship techniques that result in the development of a robust pipeline and in the consistent upgrading of donors
- Keep detailed, comprehensive and accurate records of contacts with all donors and prospects, documenting all interactions in a timely manner
- Offer prospect strategy counsel to junior staff as required. Be a resource for other development staff, including identifying potential volunteer connections, as appropriate
- Collaborate with and in support of volunteers, other Major Gift Officers, development team and other LA Phil employees as needed to cultivate and solicit donors for organizational priorities
- Maintain broad knowledge of institution-wide priorities to encourage new or increased giving across all areas of need including unrestricted annual support, special project support, capital improvements and endowment
Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree desirable, and a minimum of seven years development experience, including proven major gifts success with five and six-figure gifts. Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising with track record of building new donor relationships with prospects, trustees, volunteers, resulting in gifts. Ability to develop and implement effective donor strategy and messaging. Interest in and dedication to promoting the LA Phil’s mission and priorities. Music/arts background and deep knowledge of the Los Angeles philanthropic community a plus. Must be technologically savvy including current use of Excel, Word, Outlook, internet research, social media and donor software.
View the complete job description on ARTS CONSULTING GROUP'S website:
APPLICATION AND INQUIRIES
Please submit a letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments to:
Mr. Dale Hedding, Vice President
Arts Consulting Group, Inc.
1718 M Street NW, Suite 283
Washington, DC 20036-4504
Tel: (888) 234.4236 Ext. 2
Cell: (443) 248.0164
Fax: (888) 284.6651
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquires about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 213.972.0721
Please note: The Association does thorough background checks on all applicants using Kroll Background America, Inc.