Call for Applications: 2016-2017 Associate Composer Program
Each year, the Associate Composer program embraces ten to twelve talented, enthusiastic young composers and encourages their love for music through group composition lessons. Associate Composers receive free concert tickets and access to CFP staff and visiting composer/guest artists. Additionally, Associate Composers work directly with their Composer Fellowship peers in the great tradition of mentorship.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Announcing the Composer Fellowship Program, class of 2017:
We're also pleased to welcome back two CFP Senior Fellows:.
Bridging the gap between exceptional high school-aged composers and the greatest composers of today
New music, its creation and performance, is at the very heart of the LA Phil's identity. Founded in 2007 by Pulitzer-Prize-winning composer Steven Stucky, the Composer Fellowship Program (CFP) is a reflection of those ideals. A unique offering among American orchestras, this innovative, multi-year program offers passionate high school composers an extremely high level of consistent, intense focus on the process and production of music composition, giving them the tools and freedom to shape the future of concert music.
For more information, please contact CFP@laphil.org.
- Fellows are led through the creative process from start to finish through regular composition lessons with their mentors: internationally-renowned composer and Program Director, Andrew Norman; and CFP Teaching Artist, Sarah Gibson.
- Frequent visits with LA Phil musicians for demonstrations and chamber music reading sessions
- Over 20 LA Phil concerts at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl each year, including all concerts in the Green Umbrella series
- Access to LA Phil rehearsals.
- Encounters with many of the world's greatest living composers. Past visits have included John Corigliano, John Adams, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Kaija Saariaho, Magnus Lindberg, and many others.
- Fellows have the rare opportunity to compose two pieces for orchestra and experience their rehearsals and in-concert premieres with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, at Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- Fellows leave the Fellowship with a rich portfolio of their professionally recorded chamber works performed by members of the LA Phil.
Graduates of CFP have gone on to study music composition at Harvard, Yale, the Juilliard School, the University of Southern California, Oberlin College, New England Conservatory, University of California-Los Angeles, the Manhattan School of Music, Bard College, and many others.