You are here
Part of SU2 Sunday 2
About This Performance
From its scale and grandeur, it’s not hard to believe that Brahms’ First Piano Concerto began life as a symphony. But then, Brahms viewed a concerto as a large-scale “symphony with obbligato soloist.” Emanuel Ax initiates a Brahms mini-festival with this monumental work.
Young conductor Robin Ticciati prefaces Brahms’ epic concerto with the blithe “Spring” Symphony by Robert Schumann, both idol and mentor to Brahms.
Ligeti’s rarely heard and transitional Melodien, in which, as the name suggests, well-defined tunes emerge from the textures more characteristic of earlier Ligeti.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: Beethoven with Dudamel & Andsnes: Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 2:00pm
- Shostakovich Fifth: Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 2:00pm
- Scheherazade: Sunday, December 8, 2013 - 2:00pm
- Brahms, Berg & Beethoven: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 2:00pm
- Dudamel Conducts Brahms: Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 2:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.