Part of SU2 Sunday 2
Listen Program Notes
Berlioz: Romeo & Juliet (with video)
About This Performance
One of Berlioz’ greatest and most original works is given fresh context and heightened meaning in this re-imagination, featuring a newly commissioned video to accompany a complete performance by Esa-Pekka Salonen and an extraordinary cast.
Come for: Friday’s performance launches our new in/SIGHT series, every concert a sensory feast for eye and ear.
And more: The dramatic story behind the symphonie dramatique. In 1827 Berlioz attended a performance of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet at the Odéon Theatre in Paris. The Juliet was Harriet Smithson, who became his wife, and even though he knew no English at the time, the power of the play inspired him to compose a “symphonie dramatique” on it a decade later.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- BEETHOVEN CYCLE FINALE: Dudamel & Andsnes: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 2:00pm
- Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 2:00pm
- Górecki's Fourth Symphony: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 2:00pm
- Schumann’s Piano Concerto: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 2:00pm
- Tour de Force: Dudamel & Mahler 6: Sunday, March 8, 2015 - 2:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.