You are here
Part of FR2 Friday Evening 2
About This Performance
Just as Brahms and Sibelius did in their violin concertos, Danish composer Carl Nielsen combines genuine gravitas with brilliant virtuosity. He began the work in Norway, where he was visiting Nina Grieg, and completed it back home in Denmark, struggling to present the solo instrument “in the best light, that is, rich in content, popular, and dazzling without becoming superficial.” Nielsen conducted the premiere in 1912, along with the first performance of his rousing Third Symphony.
Always a welcome presence, Hahn brings us a relative rarity this time.
Russian conductor Andrey Boreyko in a reflective but also dramatic Nordic program.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: Beethoven with Dudamel & Andsnes: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 8:00pm
- Bach & Schumann: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 8:00pm
- Christmas with Gustavo: Friday, December 13, 2013 - 8:00pm
- MINIMALIST JUKEBOX: Gordon, Riley & Adams: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 8:00pm
- MOZART/DA PONTE TRILOGY: Dudamel Conducts Così: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 8:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.