The Edge of Jazz
The perceived borders between jazz, classical, and improvised music disappear in a night powered by the imagination of Herbie Hancock, our Creative Chair for Jazz.
- Hitomi OBA Aina (world premiere, LA Phil commission with generous support from the Esa-Pekka Salonen Commission Fund)
- Vijay IYER Crisis Modes
- Billy CHILDS of Darkness and Light (world premier, LA Phil commission with generous support from Sandi and Kevin Kayse)
- Kamasi WASHINGTON Struggle from Within (world premiere, LA Phil commission, with generous support from Lisa Field and the Field Family Foundation)
- Tyshawn SOREY For Fred Lerdahl
- Hermeto PASCOAL (ORCH. JOVINO SANTOS NETO) Suite Universal (Universal Suite)
- LA Phil New Music Group
- Paolo Bortolameolli conductor
- Hitomi Oba saxophone
- Billy Childs piano
- Jovino Santos Neto piano
- Herbie Hancock curator
About This Performance
Herbie Hancock highlights new works from some of the most important and forward-thinking composers currently working at the border between improvisational and compositional music.
All pieces performed by the LA Phil New Music Group, with appearances from Billy Childs and Hitomi Oba.
Fluxus Festival Activation
What: Ben PATTERSON Variations for Double Bass (at intermission)
Where: WDCH Lobby
Ben Patterson’s Variations for Double Bass will be viewable in the WDCH Lobby at intermission for this concert.
Learn more about Fluxus Festival. In collaboration with the Getty Research Institute
Pre-Concert Talk: Upbeat Live
With Paolo Bortolameoli – 7pm
Enhance your concert experience with a pre-concert talk starting at 7pm. Upbeat Live provides historical and cultural context for many concerts, featuring engaging speakers, audio examples, and special guests. These events are free to ticket holders and are held in BP Hall, on the second floor, accessible after your ticket is scanned.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.