You are here
Part of TH1 Thursday 1
About This Performance
Dudamel launches the season with a high-voltage program, beginning with a new percussion concerto by Pulitzer Prize winner David Lang (Bang on a Can). Then, an evocative trumpet fanfare initiates Mahler's Fifth Symphony, whose huge musical canvas includes an achingly beautiful love song to his wife, Alma.
Come for: An aural extravaganza. Lang wrote man made to take advantage of what his friends in So Percussion do: "create theatrical environments, use weird things you don't usually think of as instruments, play super hard music that is intricate, oddly emotional, and sometimes very loud."
And more: During Dudamel's already legendary Mahler Project in 2012, it was the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela that played Mahler 5. Now it's the LA Phil's turn!
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Upbeat Live: pre-concert talks
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Mozart & Beethoven: Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 8:00pm
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY HURRICANE MAMA: Dudamel Conducts Saint-Saëns: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Martha Argerich Plays Schumann: Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 8:00pm
- Dudamel's New World: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 8:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.