You are here
Part of TH2 Thursday 2
About This Performance
Orchestral soundscapes in kaleidoscopic colors! Come hear what Dudamel and the Phil conjure in an evening of dazzling showpieces topped by that ultimate sonic blockbuster, Pictures at an Exhibition. Musical depictions of graphic images are the theme of this thrill ride.
Come for: Dudamel conducting a piece by his predecessor as Music Director, Esa-Pekka Salonen.
And more: The Swiss Symbolist Arnold Böcklin painted five slightly different versions of the painting known as The Isle of the Dead between 1880 and 1885. Rachmaninoff was inspired by a monochrome reproduction, and his interpretation of it begins softly and darkly, in 5/8 waves that build as the island is approached by boat.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- BEETHOVEN CYCLE FINALE: Dudamel & Andsnes: Thursday, October 9, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Berlioz’ Romeo & Juliet: Thursday, November 6, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Ax Plays Chopin: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 8:00pm
- Chinese New Year: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 8:00pm
- Tour de Force: Dudamel & Mahler 6: Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 8:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.