You are here
Part of TH2 Thursday 2
Listen Program Notes
Saariaho: True Fire (new work for Baritone and Orchestra), (world premiere, LAPA commission) (c. 25 minutes)
About This Performance
Ravel’s Concerto for the Left Hand was written for the Austrian pianist Paul Wittgenstein, who had lost his right arm in World War I. Ravel composed it after a four-month concert tour of North American, in which he met George Gershwin and attended a jazz concert in Harlem, increasing his admiration for the American idiom, which influenced aspects of the concerto.
Come for: Three Ravel hits in one evening, with special guest Jean-Yves Thibaudet.
And more: A major premiere for baritone and orchestra by one of the world’s top composers, featuring the leading baritone of his generation, Gerald Finley.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Upbeat Live: pre-concert talks
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Pictures at an Exhibition with Dudamel: Thursday, December 4, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Emanuel Ax Plays Chopin: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 8:00pm
- Chinese New Year: From Tchaikovsky to Tan Dun: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 8:00pm
- Dudamel & Mahler 6: Thursday, March 5, 2015 - 8:00pm
- NEXT ON GRAND: Dudamel, Dessner & Glass: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 8:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.