You are here
Part of TH2 Thursday 2
About This Performance
A solo violin is the voice of Scheherazade as she calms the Sultan’s menacing brass fanfares in Rimsky-Korsakov’s colorful epic. “All I had desired was that the hearer, if he liked my piece as symphonic music, should carry away the impression that this is beyond doubt an oriental narrative of some numerous and varied fairy-tale wonders and not merely four pieces played one after the other,” the composer wrote.
Haydn’s late symphony – the second movement fanfares gave it the “Military” nickname – is paired with Rimsky’s ever-popular and enticing musical tale of the Arabian Nights.
The eminent Spanish conductor has become an audience favorite in recent visits to Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
New this Season:
Dinner & Concert Package
Enjoy a special dinner at RIVERA before your concert! Buy tickets for Saturday’s performance and complete the package with a $32/person prix fixe dinner that includes a brief introduction to the evening’s program by an LA Phil staffer. Already have tickets for this Friday? Just add dinner!
Upbeat Live: pre-concert talks
- Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 7:00pm
- Saturday, December 7, 2013 - 7:00pm
- Sunday, December 8, 2013 - 1:00pm
Guest lecture Daniel Kessner talks about Haydn's symphonies and Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Rachmaninoff with Dudamel & Wang: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 8:00pm
- Brahms, Berg & Beethoven: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Dudamel Conducts Brahms: Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 8:00pm
- MINIMALIST JUKEBOX: Glass' the CIVIL warS: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 8:00pm
- AX BRAHMS PROJECT: Ax & Dudamel: Thursday, May 1, 2014 - 8:00pm
Can’t decide which concert is for you? Try Concert Master!
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.