You are here
Part of TH2 Thursday 2
About This Performance
A solo violin is the voice of Scheherazade as she calms the Sultan’s menacing brass fanfares in Rimsky-Korsakov’s colorful epic. “All I had desired was that the hearer, if he liked my piece as symphonic music, should carry away the impression that this is beyond doubt an oriental narrative of some numerous and varied fairy-tale wonders and not merely four pieces played one after the other,” the composer wrote.
Haydn’s late symphony – the second movement fanfares gave it the “Military” nickname – is paired with Rimsky’s ever-popular and enticing musical tale of the Arabian Nights.
The eminent Spanish conductor has become an audience favorite in recent visits to Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION: Dudamel & Bronfman: Thursday, October 3, 2013 - 8:00pm
- Rachmaninoff with Dudamel & Wang: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 8:00pm
- Brahms, Berg & Beethoven: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 8:00pm
- Dudamel Conducts Brahms: Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 8:00pm
- MINIMALIST JUKEBOX: the CIVIL warS: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 8:00pm
Construction around Walt Disney Concert Hall may affect your drive. Click here for details.