The Edge of Jazz
The perceived borders between jazz, classical, and improvised music disappear in a night powered by the imagination of Herbie Hancock, our Creative Chair for Jazz.
- Hitomi OBA Aina (world premiere, LA Phil commission with generous support from the Esa-Pekka Salonen Commission Fund)
- Vijay IYER Crisis Modes (world premiere, LA Phil commission)
- Billy CHILDS of Darkness and Light (world premiere, LA Phil commission with generous support from Sandi and Kevin Kayse)
- Kamasi WASHINGTON Struggle from Within (world premiere, LA Phil commission, with generous support from Lisa Field and the Field Family Foundation)
- Tyshawn SOREY For Fred Lerdahl (world premiere, LA Phil commission)
- Hermeto PASCOAL (ORCH. JOVINO SANTOS NETO) Suite Universal (Universal Suite) (world premiere, LA Phil commission)
About this Performance
Herbie Hancock highlights new works from some of the most important and forward-thinking composers currently working at the border between improvisational and compositional music.
All pieces performed by the LA Phil New Music Group, with appearances from Billy Childs and Hitomi Oba.
Fluxus Festival Activation
What: Ben PATTERSON Variations for Double Bass (at intermission)
Where: WDCH Lobby
Ben Patterson’s Variations for Double Bass will be viewable in the WDCH Lobby at intermission for this concert.
Learn more about Fluxus Festival. In collaboration with the Getty Research Institute
Enhance Your Experience
Upbeat Live with Paolo Bortolameolli – 7pm
Before the concert, some of the sharpest musical minds around – including members of the LA Phil – guide you through the evening’s music, complete with a Q&A session for any lingering questions. This free event is held in BP Hall, accessible after your ticket is scanned.
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.