- Inspirations Medley: Selections from composers Shigeru Umebayashi, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Owen Pallett, Arcade Fire, Björk, Jason Moran, and John Brion.
- Kris BOWERS Horn Concerto (world premiere, LA Phil commission)
- Kris BOWERS Green Book Medley
- Kris BOWERS King Richard Medley
- Kris BOWERS When They See Us Medley
- Kris BOWERS Bridgerton Medley
- Program notes by Tim Greiving
About this Performance
Emmy Award-winning composer and jazz pianist Kris Bowers has been celebrated for his score to films and shows like Green Book, King Richard, and Bridgerton. This Reel Change program explores Bowers’ musical voice with selections from his career performed with original short films created especially for this concert, as well as music from genre-straddling composers—like Owen Pallett and Ryuichi Sakamoto—whose fluidity has inspired his approach. Plus, LA Phil Principal Horn Andrew Bain performs the world premiere of Bowers’ new concerto.
Traffic Alert: Hope Street will be closed to all traffic between 2nd St and 1st St from Friday, November 19 at 6am through Monday, November 22 at 5am.
- Access to the 2nd Street WDCH garage entrance will be maintained. Cars will need to approach from Grand Avenue.
- The Lower Grand Avenue garage entrance will not be impacted.
- The WDCH Founders garage entrance on Hope Street will only be available for egress during this timeframe.
- Founders and valet parking on Hope Street will not be available during this timeframe for the concerts on November 19, 20, 21.
Before the Performance
In 2020, New Music USA announced the launch of Reel Change: The Fund for Diversity in Film Scoring. Responding to the fact that the vast majority of films are scored by white men, Reel Change is a five-year grants and mentorship program for composers of diverse backgrounds who have been marginalized in film composition.
Join Reel Change Advisory Board member Kris Bowers and Reel Change grantee Sultana Isham in a conversation about their approaches to the art form, experiences in the industry, and the unconventional pathways that led them to film composition. Part of the LA Phil’s Upbeat Live pre-concert lecture series, this event will take place in BP Hall of Walt Disney Concert Hall at 7pm. The event is free to ticket holders.
Presented in partnership by New Music USA and the LA Phil Humanities program. Please note that Reel Change: The New Era of Film Music is a concert series presented by the LA Phil. The Reel Change Fund is an initiative of New Music USA. Learn more at: newmusicusa.org/program/reel-change-film-fund
Programs, artists, dates, prices, and availability subject to change.
Enhance Your Experience
Upbeat Live with Kris Bowers and Sultana Isham
Event starts at 7:00PM
Join Reel Change Advisory Board member Kris Bowers and Reel Change grantee Sultana Isham in a conversation about their approaches to the art form, experiences in the industry, and the unconventional pathways that led them to film composition. This free event is held in BP Hall, accessible after your ticket is scanned.
The LA Phil’s Humanities Programs are generously supported by Linda and David Shaheen.