- Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Gustavo Dudamel conductor
- Alberto Arvelo director
- Joaquín Solano co-director
- Deaf West Theatre, produced by DJ Kurs
- Gabriela Camejo Artistic Producer, Karibanna Content
- Solange Mendoza costume designer
- James F. Ingalls lighting designer
- Colin Analco ASL Choreographer
- Natasha Ofili Associate ASL Choreographer
- Coro de Manos Blancas (White Hands Choir)
- Amelia Hensley Leonore (actor)
- Christiane Libor Leonore (singer)
- Josh Castille Florestan (actor)
- Ian Koziara Florestan (singer)
- Russell Harvard Rocco (actor)
- Ryan Speedo Green Rocco (singer)
- Indi Robinson Marzelline (actor)
- Gabriella Reyes Marzelline (singer)
- Gregor Lopes Jaquino (actor)
- José Simerilla-Romero Jaquino (singer)
- Gabriel Silva Don Pizarro (actor)
- Shenyang Don Pizarro (singer)
- Michael Anthony Spady Don Fernando (actor)
- Ethan Vincent Don Fernando (singer)
- Los Angeles Master Chorale
About this Performance
Gustavo Dudamel leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic in a deeply emotional, innovative new semi-staged production of Beethoven’s only opera, Fidelio, created for both Deaf and hearing audiences. Told through the composer’s music sung by hearing vocalists and the expressive gestural poetry of sign language by Deaf actors, the performances explore the search for communication—both primal and sublime—that is at the heart of all artistic expression.
Premiered in 1805 as Beethoven was reckoning with his own Deafness, Fidelio is a tale of triumph over oppression as the noblewoman Leonore goes undercover to daringly rescue her husband from political imprisonment. Dudamel conducts the LA Phil and a star-studded cast in a groundbreaking event directed by Alberto Arvelo, co-directed by Joaquín Solano and produced in collaboration with Los Angeles’ acclaimed Tony Award®-winning Deaf West Theatre (Artistic Director, David Kurs) and El Sistema’s Coro de Manos Blancas (White Hands Choir, Artistic Director, María Inmaculada Velásquez).
Supertitles will be displayed during the performance.
Fidelio is supported by an Edgerton Foundation grant.
Special thanks to Oliviana Halus-Griep
Los Angeles Master Chorale RosterSee other concerts in this series
Programs, artists, dates, prices, and availability subject to change.
Enhance Your Experience
Upbeat Live with Kristi Brown-Montesano
Event starts at 7:00PM
Before the concert, some of the sharpest musical minds around – including members of the LA Phil – guide you through the evening’s music, complete with a Q&A session for any lingering questions. This free event is held in BP Hall, accessible after your ticket is scanned. Fidelio talks will be ASL interpreted as well.Learn More