Fluxus: Cage's Europeras 1 & 2
Yuval Sharon directs a new production of John Cage’s radical operatic revelations performed at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City.
LIMITED AVAILABILITY: This concert has very few seats available. Click “Buy Now” to check availability.
- LA Phil New Music Group
- The Industry
- Yuval Sharon director
- John Iacovelli scenic designer
- Marc Lowenstein music advisor
- Christopher Kuhl lighting designer
- Emma Kingsbury costume designer
- Jody Elff sound designer
- Alexander Gedeon associate director
- Maria Elena Altany soprano
- Justine Aronson soprano
- Julianna Di Giacomo soprano
- Sara Hershkowitz soprano
- Suzanna Guzmán mezzo-soprano
- Joanna Lynn-Jacobs mezzo-soprano
- Jon Lee Keenan tenor
- James Onstad tenor
- David Williams baritone
- Cedric Berry bass-baritone
- Laurel Irene soprano
- Sarah Beaty mezzo-soprano
- Renée Rapier mezzo-soprano
- Ashley Faatoalia tenor
- John Matthew Myers tenor
- Babatunde Akinboboye baritone
- David Castillo baritone
- James Hayden bass
- Colin Ramsey bass
- Richard Biglia dancer
- Liz Bustle dancer
- Raymond Ejiofor dancer
- DaEun Jung dancer
- Eden Orrick dancer
- Andrew Pearson dancer
About This Performance
“For two hundred years the Europeans have been sending us their operas. Now I’m sending them back.” That’s how John Cage described Europeras 1 & 2, and he wasn’t kidding. The LA Phil, The Industry and LA Phil Artist-Collaborator Yuval Sharon team up again for a wild new production of Cage’s radical revelation.
Please note: This performance runs approximately 2 hours 30 minutes including intermission.
Visit fluxuslaphil.tumblr.com, where essays by prominent artists and scholars on aspects of the Fluxus movement and documentation of festival events will be posted throughout the LA Phil's 2018/19 season.
Fluxus Festival is in partnership with the Getty Research Institute
Photo credit: Beatriz Schiller, courtesy of the John Cage Trust
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.