Fluxus: Ragnar KJARTANSSON Bliss
It’s the final moments of "The Marriage of Figaro" performed live in a twelve-hour loop – a Fluxus-informed feat of endurance performed at REDCAT.
A limited number of $10 timed standby tickets are currently available. These tickets will have access to attend 1 hr of the performance between 1PM and 7PM that day. Details below.
- Ragnar Kjartansson, director, Antonio
- Christopher Rountree, conductor
- Wild Up
- Kristján Jóhannsson, Count Almaviva
- Laurel Irene, Rosina/Countess Almaviva
- Maria Elena Altany, Susanna
- Cedric Berry, Figaro
- James Onstad, Don Basilio
- Reid Bruton, Don Bartolo
- Justine Aronson, Barbarina
- Lauren Davis, Cherubino
- Suzanna Guzmán, Marcellina
- Emma Kingsbury, costume design
- Christoph Fischer, scenic design
- Camilla Hägebarth, scenic design
- Julia Krawczynski, scenic design
- Anda Skrejane, scenic design
- Erica Fromdahl, costume assistant
About this Performance
Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro is one of the most rapturous pieces of music ever composed, the kind of work that’s so moving, you want to listen to over and over again. And that’s precisely what happens in Ragnar Kjartansson’s Bliss – for twelve hours. Through extreme repetition, an excerpt from Mozart’s original composition moves from elegant to ironic to ecstatic, finally returning to its original delicacy and joy but freighted with the emotional and physical toll of the experience.
The West Coast premiere will be a fully staged production, accompanied by experimental classical ensemble wild Up, under the direction of Christopher Rountree.
Full performance tickets are sold out. A limited number of $10 timed standby tickets will be made available on May, 14 at 10AM. Standby tickets will have access to attend one hour of the performance between 1PM and 7PM that day. Access is not guaranteed, and dependent on attendance.
Visit fluxuslaphil.tumblr.com, where essays by prominent artists and scholars on aspects of the Fluxus movement and documentation of festival events will be posted throughout the LA Phil's 2018/19 season.
In partnership with the Getty Research Institute
Originally a Performa Commission for Performa 11
REDCAT - Roy and Edna Disney /CalArts Theater
Programs, artists, dates, prices and availability subject to change.